August 1, 2016
The National Association of Home Inspectors has announced they are going out of business and all home inspectors with an existing NAHI membership will automatically convert to a membership with the American Society of Home Inspectors (ASHI).
This industry consolidation comes after years of legislative changes in how home inspectors are licensed & certified and the standards in which they adhere to. The largest home inspection association, InterNACHI, has also grown its member base, leading to further consolidation.
And Then There Were Two
This leaves 2 major national home inspection associations (there are many smaller, notable state-based home inspector associations such as CREIA and TAREI) that approximately 25,000 inspectors belong to.
Both InterNACHI and ASHI have done a lot to push the inspection industry forward in terms of education, certification and legitimacy. There are quality home inspectors out there that may not belong to either of these associations, but there is a good chance the inspector you work with will belong to one of these.
Do You Homework Before Hiring an Inspector
In the 18 states that do not regulate home inspectors, you’ll want to at least make sure they are members of either InterNACHI or ASHI. Both organizations have high standards and requirements for membership, certification and continuing education.
If you reside in the 32 states that regulate home inspectors, you will want to check with your regulating body to ensure your home inspector is in good standing. Many quality inspectors in these states will also have designations and certifications from ASHI or InterNACHI.
As with any home service pro you hire, always check their online profiles, reviews and ask around for referrals.
Latest posts by Spectora (see all)
- 9 Things New Inspectors Should Consider When Choosing Home Inspection Software - January 28, 2018
- Spectora Inspector Spotlight: Nick Wright with Wright Choice Home Inspection - December 4, 2017
- Spectora Inspector Spotlight: Kc Bartley with Professional Home Inspections - November 20, 2017
- The New Home Inspector Checklist
- 9 Things New Inspectors Should Consider When Choosing Home Inspection Software
- Spectora Inspector Spotlight: Michael Pelliccia with Metro Property Inspections
- Meet 2 Woman Making Waves in the Male-Dominated Home Inspection Industry
- What Does a Home Inspection Report Look Like?