Updated 4/8/2019 – Nick Gromicko and InterNACHI have taken control over NAHI and their trademarks, revamped the website and given every InterNACHI member a free NAHI membership.
August 1, 2016
The National Association of Home Inspectors has announced they are going out of business and
all home inspectors with an existing NAHI membership will automatically convert to a membership with the American Society of Home Inspectors (ASHI).
This industry consolidation comes after years of legislative changes in how home inspectors are licensed & certified and the standards in which they adhere to. The largest home inspection association, InterNACHI, has grown even bigger with this move.
And Then There Were Two
This leaves 2 major national home inspection associations (there are many smaller, notable state-based home inspector associations such as CREIA and TAREI) that approximately 25,000 inspectors belong to.
Both InterNACHI has done a lot to push the inspection industry forward in terms of education, certification and legitimacy. There are quality home inspectors out there that may not belong to either of these associations, but there is a good chance the inspector you work with will belong to one of these.
Do You Homework Before Hiring an Inspector
In the 18 states that do not regulate home inspectors, you’ll want to at least make sure they are members of either InterNACHI or ASHI. Both organizations have high standards and requirements for membership, certification and continuing education.
If you reside in the 32 states that regulate home inspectors, you will want to check with your regulating body to ensure your home inspector is in good standing. Many quality inspectors in these states will also have designations and certifications from InterNACHI.
As with any home service pro you hire, always check their online profiles, reviews and ask around for referrals.
Latest posts by Spectora (see all)
- Competitive Analysis – Ever Wonder What Your Competition Does? - November 29, 2019
- 7 Homebuyer Tips for Surviving the Home Inspection - February 6, 2019
- 5 Tips for New Home Inspectors From a 15-Year Multi-Inspector Veteran - February 5, 2019
- What is Your Unique Value Proposition (UVP)?July 23, 2020 - 2:48 PM
- Keys to a Successful Home Inspection BusinessJuly 23, 2020 - 2:07 PM
- Introducing Spectora Reviews! June 18, 2020 - 4:59 PM
- Growing Your Own Home Inspection Business vs. Working for a CompanyJune 15, 2020 - 12:14 PM
- Realtors – Stop Asking Your Home Inspector for DiscountsJune 11, 2020 - 10:14 AM